Basic Boat Info
Engines / Speed
- Make: Caterpillar
- Model: D-13000 I-6 Cyl NA
- Fuel: Diesel
- Type: Inboard
- Engine Hours: 1900
8236 Northrop Place SW
Seattle, Washington, US, 98136
Comfortable working accommodations on board include a nice galley with Olympic Y-16 diesel stove, salon with settee, head with shower and ample storage in the deckhouse. Belowdecks bunkroom accommodates five berths; forward is ample stowage for towing and anchoring gear in the forepeak.
Large standup engine room provides for a well laid out mechanical and work area. Aft deck offers an unobstructed twenty-three foot platform for shore boat storage, entertaining, or just lounging. Aft mast is equipped with a lifting boom and winch while a removable canvas boom tent offers protection from the elements.
Vessel is crowned by a magnificent pilothouse offering 360-degree visibility and walk around bridge and lounge decks. A fully operational bridge is equipped with modern electronics offering an all weather capability within easy reach of skipper.
- Furuno model 1720 24mile open array radar
- Furuno model FCV-622 color video sounder/fishfinder
- Si-tex NAVADD 7000 AMKIIG electronic charting system with GPS interface
- ICOM VHF marine radio
- SSB radio
- Seacom intercom pilothouse to engine room
- Westinghouse pilothouse air gauge/monitor
- Wood Freeman Model 420-A autopilot
- Richie 8-inch compass
- Watrous 6 inch barometer
Dual banks of 32volt batteries for house current & main engine start; dual banks of 12volt batteries for electronic equipment; Hendricks Electric distribution panels(120/240v) for shore and genset; Hendricks Electric breaker panels(12/32v); Dual Cole-Hersee 12v & 32v rotary master disconnect switches; Professional Mariner 32 volt 25amp battery charger; Professional Mariner Pro-Mite 12volt 15amp battery charger; Delco-Remy 32volt alternator; Delco-Remy 12volt alternator; Newmar 12v to 32v converter (reefer); Yanmar 10KW 120/240v diesel generator.
Masthead USCG navigation, running, anchor and amber deck lights; USCG Int'l Rule 24 Regs. towing and pushing lights; 32v remote search light; Cummingham fog horn; Cummingham signal whistle; two 120v 500watt deck lights; Avon 8 man valise liferaft (uninspected); two 30inch life rings. bronze ship's bell; fire extinguishers (3) each Type Military C02 55#; fire extinguishers (2) each Amerex Halon; (2) each 15-foot pike poles; (2) each fire axes; 8-foot shore boat.
GROUND TACKLE includes hydraulic windlass powered off main engine PTO; Danforth style anchor; and 200' of 3/4 inch galvanized stud link anchor chain. Additional deck features include Rowe deck-mounted towing bollard; foremast with spreader, antenna, and lights; aft mast with boom and 3/4 ton hoisting winch; and CANVAS covers plus boom tent.
Caterpillar D-13000 six cylinder diesel, natural aspirated 1900hrs SMOH; Caterpillar/Twin Disc Marine Gear MG 200 Ratio 2.96 to 1; Racor water separator fuel filter; Systems Engineering Inc. pneumatic shift and throttle controls; fresh water exchanger; dry stack exhaust. Caterpillar 25-hp pony motor with 12v start and optional hand crank; Caterpillar/Twin Disc Front PTO Model 32988 for windlass; Bendix-Westinghouse air compressor miscellaneous spare parts. Wesmar bow and stern thrusters.
In 1897 the Wallace Foss was built during the Alaska Gold Rush Era in Tacoma, Washington. It was originally designed as a passenger steam vessel, but was changed to a tugboat after the hull was built. It was owned by the Belkum Towboat Company of Seattle and was launched under the name Oscar B.
After sitting idle for a few years the Oscar B was purchased in 1913 by the Rouse Towing Company of Seattle. It was towed to a shipyard in Ballard. It went through a complete rebuild and was named the Rouse as the premiere tug of the company.
In 1920 the Rouse Towing Company was purchased by the Foss family and this gave them their first entry into the Seattle tug and barge business.
In keeping with a new Foss family policy of naming all the tugs after family members, the Rouse was renamed the Wallace Foss in honor of a grand-nephew of Andrew and Thea Foss in 1945. Also at this time the deck house was entirely rebuilt and a new raised pilot house was installed.
By 1959 the tug needed a new engine to remain competitive with newer boats. Foss chose a 230 horsepower Caterpillar diesel engine, the first "CAT" installed in a Foss tug.
Going forward all Foss tugs were powered by "CAT" diesels.
The Wallace Foss continued month after month to tow sand and gravel barges as well petroleum barges to various communities located on Puget Sound, Hood Canal, and the San Juan Islands. She became one of only five tugs in the Foss fleet to operate for fifty years or more. After 52 years of service the Wallace Foss was retired on March 10, 1972.
Since its retirement from commercial service 'the Wallace Foss has been maintained as an outstanding example of old historic tugs that served the Pacific Northwest.
RECENT REFIT AND UPGRADES 2012-2014 have included new stainless steel rigging; bulwark replacement & renewals fore and aft as needed; counter-sunk and replaced bungs in deck, caprail, and rubrail areas; resealing of the wheelhouse drop-down windows; fresh paint, varnish and caulking topsides, fresh markings of her substantial anchor chain at 50' increments.
ALSO NOTE: New LPG 4-burner galley stove with (2) tanks mounted on the mid-deck (original diesel stove still in place); new HRO watermaker; new wiring in the focsle and staterooms; new fold-down desk in the stateroom; and installation of a holding tank pump-out access on deck.
Any of owners' personal items left on board, including any items not listed in the specifications, are not included with the sale of the vessel.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Vessel is located in Newport, Rhode Island. Call 206-283-6400 for details and to schedule a viewing...